Century Mill Lumber began over 160 years ago in 1851 when William and Sarah Ratcliff, recent immigrants from Essex, England, purchased 140 acres of prime woodlands in what is now known as Stouffville, Ontario. Ideally situated by the Rouge River, a water mill wheel was built to harness the power to run the sawmill to produce sufficient lumber for the surrounding communities. In the early 1900s, a single-cylinder diesel engine was purchased to further boost production capacity. The diesel engine was central to the operations until 1981, when it decommissioned and donated to the Markham museum, where it can still be seen today.
Over the ensuing 100 years, the business has been a stalwart pillar of the community, employing numerous local labourers and delivering materials to the building trade. The business has evolved and to this day continues to operate on the same site, while one thing remains constant – ‘a passionate commitment to high quality, sustainably-sourced hard and soft wood lumber, service excellence and fair prices’.
Stop by and see us today.